Be Aware of Scams

Real estate agents run advertisements saying that you, the foreigner can own land in Thailand. This is often just a ploy to get you through their door first, before you contact other real estate agent. Foreigners cannot own land, they can only lease it for 30 years.

Problem becomes apparent after buyers transfer full payment. It usually starts earlier when buying contracts between buyer and developer is signed. Property sellers made the contract but fail explain to the buyers the full meaning of the contract. Some properties are sold for 30 years without registering the sale at the Land Registry Office. This contract is regarded as invalid by the Thai law. Make sure that the land you want to lease / buy match the land registry documents. The land title deed is a public document available from the Land Registry, it is easy to verify by anyone who can read Thai.

Some of the contracts have written '3 years' in parentheses. This allows the seller to make additional unreasonable demands towards the buyer after 3 years. Often the seller will force the buyer to extend the lease of the land or to buy the land (as a foreign company) at a very high rate, sometimes 20 - 40 times higher. In extreme cases this might cost the buyer an additional 10mln Baht. Usually construction cost of the house is between 4 - 15mln Baht. In case the buyer refuses to pay extra money for the lease extension, some developers tell the buyers to remove the house from the land.

Furthermore, the construction of the house very often has its own problems. In some situations the house registration number is a temporary number issued by Hua Hin Municipality. The rate of electricity and water might be higher than for houses with the permanent numbers. Also the temporary house number cannot be changed into a permanent one because some housing projects had failed to ask Hua Hin Municipality for permission to construct a project. 

There fraudsters that they show for sale beautiful piece of land but in fact sale to you a completely different piece of land.

Before you buy a house or condominium make sure that you deal with a reputable developer. There are developer who have problem with money. They take money from buyers and don't finish the project for years or the houses they build are of very poor quality.

In problem projects liftts (elevators) are not repaired, swimming pools are neglected, security guards disappear, etc. You're left to deal with these matters on your own together with the other tenants.

There are many people which call themselfs lawyers, but please note that everybody is entitled to call himself a lawyer. It is a free occupation, which only serves the purpose of creating security. It is very difficult to get a genuinely registered lawyer outside of Bangkok.

If you intend buy property in Hua Hin or you bought property already and have problem with it, you should contact the Hua Hin Foreigner Service Link Center directly.